13465Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Jumping image on Flatbed press?

  • Bill
    Apr 28, 2013
      What kind of plate are you using? And what kind of base? If you are using a magnetic base this problem could easily happen.

      Good luck

      Bill
      Big Wheel Press

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 28, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:

      On 28 Apr 2013, at 2:05 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

      > Another thing not often considered is that cylinder proof presses were meant to print thin proof sheets, not the thick stock that is often run through them today. They were also not meant for editioning.
      >
      > Gerald

      Although, original Vandercook marketing material from the 1950s-60s(?) mentions the presses being used by fine artists for short editions.

      I can't cite a specific source at the moment (maybe somebody else can verify?), but I remember distinctly noting that point in a brochure I read some years ago. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it again.

      Regarding the topic at hand, I was going to ask about the stock, whether it's dry or dampened, and thickness, as well as the nature of the forms being printed. Paper will certainly expand or contract across the grain, and this can certainly be a cause of misregistration if the humidity changes. However, for it to change every few sheets does seem rather peculiar and maddening.

      And as my good friend Tim Fay says "Now you know why printers drink too much" ;-)