13441Re: Uneven ink on plate

  • Mirka
    Apr 17, 2013
      This is my two cents, coming also from fine art experience with making intaglio polymer plates that have large areas of polymer left. After washout I rinse with clean water under the tap, and then blot with news paper. That does not leave behind lint, but absorbs the water. If there is some left in the nooks and crannies, that is fine. Not very fancy, but a low cost functional way to do it.

      Mirka

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "hersomwally" <cwhersom@...> wrote:

      > After washout I just dunk the plates in a bucket of clean water then blow the surface with compressed air before putting them in the dryer. It's difficult to get all the water off the surface with the compressed air. More water seems to keep coming out of the nooks and crannies.
      >
      > Sounds like maybe I need to wash more thoroughly with clean water. I was hoping to not have to buy the expensive sponge roller. Are there any other alternatives for absorbing the surface water?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Wally
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I agree that you might have photopolymer deposit on the surface. After
      > > washout, you should hose down the plate with tap water. Then, absorb the
      > > water on surface of the plate (for which we sell a sponge
      > > roller<http://www.boxcarpress.com/shop/sponge-roller/>,
      > > which might overkill) before setting the plate flat to dry. Are you
      > > currently doing something like this?
      > >
      > > Hope this helps
      > > Harold
      > >

      > > On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM, hersomwally <cwhersom@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > When I say uneven I don't mean the surface height is uneven- it's more
      > > > like the ink is sticking to the surface in an uneven manner.
      > > >
      > > > Ed- I think you might be onto something with the polymer residue being
      > > > left behind. in the photo the pattern looks kind of like water rivulets on
      > > > the surface.

      > > > adjustment, but if the plate surface itself is uneven possibly some of the
      > > > unexposed photopolymer was not fully washed away and made its way to the
      > > > exposed polymer surface, leaving behind a residue that hardened in
      > > > post-exposure. Best remedy I could propose would be to extend the
      > > > processing time. Anybody else got a guess? --Ed

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic