      but....how many letterpress operators or students of letterpress are in your area that aren't afilliated with a college, school or shop that YOU know of?  so if there are even 4 people that need the shop you really need to "make" people, i.e. why i said contact  the schools etc.   especially at the end of univ. semesters...anyone that has been learning wants to continue to learn and to have access to a shop.   the only other thing I can think of on that note is become affiliated with a Univ. or college or trade school that wants to offer letterpress or to actually "publish" under their school name and is willing to have students do the work for it...  and pay you fees for such a service.  i don't think this is exactly what you have in mind.. but as a one stop shop with a monthly fee, you will need many warm bodies to make the rent.  is the 50$ inc. any supplies or do you sell the supplies?  paper, ink, boxes?
      the description of where you are located doesn't tell me much.. are you in a larger city or college town, where there's lots of foot traffic and the possibility to pick up a few people just in passing?  do you have an arts counsel? tap into their mailing list by posting an ad..... get someone from the news station to come interview you and the place and talk about the concept of what it is you want to do.   a center was opened, here on the east coast years ago pertaining to printmaking....and it did take off...took a while but they have shows and visiting artists, and print marathons etc.. so they get the people into the shop to check it out.

      good luck with your idea...
      On Feb 1, 2013, at 5:41 PM, Christine Gittings wrote:

      I think $50 a month is a flippin steal.  I would sign up for sure at that rate but living up here in the great white north it's just too far.   Are you willing to offer some instructional assistance as part of this fee(i'd actual insist that you charge extra for that)  Do you teach classes? Maybe that would generate some interest and awareness of the fantastic deal you're offering.  Short of that I don't know what to suggest other than a ton of people in your area need a kick in the ass.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 2013-02-01, at 3:35 PM, Steve Robison <robisonsteve@...> wrote:

      OK. Give me some on-list feedback.

      I'm trying to start this reasonably priced "Community Print Center" in Burlingame, California (about 15 miles south of San Francisco) for those who don't have a working letterpress shop/studio of their own, or for those who have their own shop/studios but from time to time might need larger equipment to complete special projects.

      I think $50per month is an extremely reasonable amount for a brand new, fully outfitted shop with several platen presses, a Vandercook proof press, lots of type, instructional programs, guest letterpress artists, art exhibit space, 24 hour 7 day a week access, neighboring studios and an art community for collaboration and inspiration, etc.

      I'm modeling it after "Em Space" in Portland, Oregon which has been wildly successful.

      But so far I haven't had enough people sign up to make it a reality.

      So what am I missing? What would make it a place you would want to go to for your letterpress wants and needs?

      Let's have a little online dialog...

      Let the suggestions and fantasies roll...

      I want to create something that letterpress enthusiasts will be so excited about we'll have people lining up for it...

      Thanks in advance for your creative thoughts.

      Steve Robison

      -- this message was sent by monks from the 14th century who calligraphically scribed each letter prior to the invention of moveable type

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic