      From: bweisbrodt <bweisbrodt@...>
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, December 31, 2012 9:23:26 AM
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Chandler & Price rebuild

      Hi Richard,

      I moved mine several years ago. I disassembled it to move it across town and into my house. I used the instructions found at this link, posted by Green Dolphin Press http://www.greendolphinpress.com/letterpress-faq.html#3.06

      There was also a link to download the original C&P manual and diagram which helped, but I can't find it anymore. You might be able to track it down.

      I took all the major parts apart, separated the platen, bed and frame. I remember needing to heat some of the parts with a torch to pull them off of their shafts. I was able to move it using an old trailer in two trips. You will definitely want a helper, lowering the bed might be hard for one person.

      Hardest part that I remember was getting the frame and the bed down through a door and down a short flight of stairs. We were able to use a truck with a hitch to lower them down a ramp slowly, but I had to cut through the door frame to fit it through. You are going up stairs so I'm not sure how to go about that.

      Once it is apart, you might want to clean everything before moving it into your shop.

      Good luck.

      Ben

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "plaidprinter" <rj.mccormack@...> wrote:

      > I have a CP 10x15 that I was thinking of disassembling and rebuilding so that I can move the printer to a more suitable location. It is going to be a tight fit and requires going up a stair case.
      > The printer also has some mechanical issues. I have a local millwright whose Dad actually worked repairing and maintaining a few presses in his day.
      >
      > My question: Has anyone taken on the job before with a successful end result?? Needless to say it will be a major undertaking but it is always best to here from others.
      >
      > Richard

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic