      From: Robin Price <rprice@...<mailto:rprice@...>>
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 08:15:04 -0800
      To: PPLetterpress <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com<mailto:PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>>
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Balancing impression and inking

      Gerald's advice here -- to proceed slowly on working up to correct impression and inking -- was one of the most important things I learned from him at USC Fine Arts Press. To add (again, learned from Gerald): it's best to *lead* with impression, i.e., only after you've obtained desired impression should you add enough ink to get correct coverage. You'll likely over-ink if you do otherwise. That all-important lupe / magnifying glass on the press feed board (placed out of the way) will definitely speed up your decision-making process on inking, both during start-up and periodically throughout edition. One more direct-from-GL tip which I've kept in the 20-odd years since: establish a *master* sheet for inking for every press run, one that you've deemed darn-near-perfect, set it aside in a nearby spot & mark it as such, and use that as your most reliable *check* for inking throughout the run. It's especially important on long runs, and with color, as your eye might not be sensitive enough to catch a gradual change over time. I grab the master inking sheet every few (5-10) impressions for a quick check, and if I can't decide immediately I grab the lupe.

      I wish I was printing right now!
      Robin

      Robin Price, Printer & Publisher http://www.robinpricepublisher.com/ phone 860-344-8644
      http://www.indiegogo.com/letpress-apprentice?a=1147117 / http://www.facebook.com/LetterpressApprenticeship / Brittany's blog http://letterpressapprentice.tumblr.com