13297Re: Cleaning the washout unit

    Nov 28, 2012
      Hi Harold

      I suspect the difference between manufacturers recommending either keeping the bath full of water with the brush submerged or draining the bath and letting the brush dry out actually depends upon the type of brush used in the machine(?) The US made A&V machines I've seen use horsehair brushes, not synthetic material. They have to dry out or the brushes are subject to rot or attack from fungi/mildew.

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

      > The best suggestion is to talk with your municipality's waste treatment
      > center. In our case in Syracuse, particulates such as photopolymer residue
      > are easily filtered mechanically at the metropolitan wastewater facility.
      > Septic systems are a problem, but I've never heard of a city or town's
      > wastewater facility encountering problems.
      >
      > As far as the bath's upkeep, at Boxcar we keep our photopolymer brushes
      > covered with water at all times. We usually recommend this to our customers
      > with machines as well. In the event that the machine is idle for any period
      > of time, we recommend adding a 1/2 cup of bleach to the bath to
      > retard...evolution.
      >
      > Hope that helps!
      > Harold
      >

      > On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > On Nov 27, 2012, at 12:40 PM, Scott Rubel wrote:
      > >
      > > > A hell of a lot less than the byproducts of acid etching. I may not know
      > > much, but I'm pretty sure about this. --Scott
      > >
      > > I believe Boxcar has the MSDSs on all the plate materials they sell on
      > > their website. As I recall, they're mildly toxic in large doses (like if
      > > you were producing plates full time for multiple customers), but in the
      > > amounts you'd be washing down the drain in a private shop they're
      > > functionally inert and safe.
      > > --
      > > Michael Hurley Titivilus Press
      > > 123 North Holmes St. titiviluspress@...