13288Re: Cleaning the washout unit

    Nov 24, 2012
      Eric

      A&V recommends a cup of vinegar with their A2 units. It's in the manual and it's what tech support recommends. I think it primarily changes the Ph of the bath. A long while back a member wrote that it helped quite a bit as he was using well water in his unit.

      I assume it also helps reduce mineral deposits as it is a well known cleaner in this regard. I can't see that it would increase bath life in any way. Once you have plate waste in the bath nature begins its work.

      Some manufacturers recommend keeping the bath full and the brushes submerged. I assume that is a clean bath. That won't work for me as keeping the little critters at bay, as routine maintenance, is crucial.

      Techniques for chemical processing of liguid photopolymer aren't necessarily going to be transferable to processing water-based sheet photopolymer. Even processing flexo sheet plates requires a different configuration of your machine (soft water, higher bath temp. . .).

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Just as a test I filled the bath of my platemaker Friday night and left it that way over the weekend. Monday morning there was white feathery growth around the edging of the brushes and black spotting on the metallic surfaces.
      > >

      > Do you use plain water, or do you add a little vinegar?
      > Several people have recommended that to me, but I was not sure if it was an aid to processing, bath life, or cleanup. Detergent is a necessary part of processing liquid photopolymer, not sure of its effect on sheet materal.
      > These days I only make a few plates at a time, with long gaps in between, and always drain and rinse, and my synthetic brushes have not suffered at all from sitting clean and dry. I've already mentioned working in a shop where draining was discouraged until absolutely necessary, and where photopolymer crystallized on the fiber pad in that unit.
      > --Eric Holub, SF

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic