13287Re: Cleaning the washout unit

  • Eric
    Nov 24, 2012

      > Just as a test I filled the bath of my platemaker Friday night and left it that way over the weekend. Monday morning there was white feathery growth around the edging of the brushes and black spotting on the metallic surfaces.

      Do you use plain water, or do you add a little vinegar?
      Several people have recommended that to me, but I was not sure if it was an aid to processing, bath life, or cleanup. Detergent is a necessary part of processing liquid photopolymer, not sure of its effect on sheet materal.
      These days I only make a few plates at a time, with long gaps in between, and always drain and rinse, and my synthetic brushes have not suffered at all from sitting clean and dry. I've already mentioned working in a shop where draining was discouraged until absolutely necessary, and where photopolymer crystallized on the fiber pad in that unit.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic