13286Re: Cleaning the washout unit

    Nov 21, 2012
      Just as a test I filled the bath of my platemaker Friday night and left it that way over the weekend. Monday morning there was white feathery growth around the edging of the brushes and black spotting on the metallic surfaces.

      Drain and flush out everyday and run safe or periodically go and buy chemicals and spend the time to get this crap out of your machine.

      > It sounds like you are doing it right. Not sure about how much water to put in the bath since you didn't say the size of your machine. When cleaning, probably at least above the brush. As it drains rub you hand across the surface of the brush, as it drains away the tuffs will begin to straighten out. You want that.
      >
      > When you put a dry brush back into the machine and fill it with water, repeat the slight brush with your hand and the tuffs will soften.
      >
      > I clean the drained bath out with Tilex once every couple of weeks or so (depends on the time of year). That will get rid of the mildew, mold or whatever. It just needs to be sprayed on (do not spray it on the brushes), next day zero life is in there. It even removes dried polymer waste to some degree.
      >
      > Vinegar should be used in the washout bath for cleaning the plates. A cup for an A2 size is sufficient. It alters the chemistry of the water a bit, which helps. Won't help with the bugs though.
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, 舜 <uthmod@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I also have inquiries on the cleaning procedures. I bought a Chinese plate maker that comes with a sloppy manual. After draining all those slimy liquid, I pour in another batch of water, then I use my hand to lightly scrub the brushes, then I drain all the water again. The brushes are then leave to dry. I somehow have the fear that if I leave the brushes to dry the brushes would be hardened. They feel so soft and harmless under water, yet they feel a very little bit of bristle when about to dry.
      > >
      > > Perhaps it's just newbie paranoia. But shall i increase the water batches (around 5 liter per batch) that is used to clean the brushes?
      > > or shall I apply detergents like vinegar in hot water?
      > >

      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Bruce <pcpete100@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I agree with Gerald, we clean out every day - it stops build up around the machine in general which can be difficult to get rid of. We wash out the brushes everyday too and leave them to dry. Keeps the machine healthy and good washout for plates.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic