13258Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: relief inks that bronze

  • typetom@aol.com
    Oct 1, 2012
      Sorry but I just don't quite know what it means that an ink "bronzes" nor what a "weird spiking effect" might be. Technical language baffles me 96.2% of the time. Probably means something I've seen but I don't know what.
      best wishes,
      Tom

      In a message dated 10/1/2012 8:36:14 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, smakov@... writes:

      Gerald,
      Thanks for your insights. Yes I have gotten that spiking you mention, though not what I wanted. Off to buy some new ink. Thanks.

      Susan Makov
      Professor of Art
      Weber State University
      2001 University Circle
      Ogden, Utah 84408
      h: 801-328-0128
      www.Greencatpress.com

      From: Bieler@...
      To: smakov@...; PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 04:18:18 +0000
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: relief inks that bronze

      Thinking about this some more I suspect the bronzing might simply be the effect of your mixing a relief ink with a matte litho ink. I once mixed Handschy Crayon Black (a stone litho ink) with good ole tried and true Van Son 10850 (which works in some applications) and got this weird spiking effect. Kind of liked it for the piece but probably could never replicate it no matter how I tried.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "bielerpr" <Bieler@...> wrote:

      > The Daniel Smith relief inks tend to be a bit waxy. Relief inks in general aren't so great, bit too soupy. I use stone litho inks almost exclusively. I print with Vandercooks though, so if you are using another kind of press, the advice should be taken as such.
      >
      > I've had great success with Graphic Chemical's Lithographic Senefelder's Crayon Black. Amazing Black. It's a bit stiff but can be cut with their Roll Up Black. The whole line seems quite good. The Stiff Opaque White is to die for and the Laketine extender is bizarrely cool. Best line of inks I have found.
      >
      > I've tried most blacks out there though and I can't say I've ever noticed bronzing. Might be something unique to what you are doing.
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "susanmakov" <smakov@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Lately, I have been having problems with my black relief inks (a mixture of Daniel Smith Relief black with lithographic matte black) bronzing in solid areas. I am printing on Tosa Hanga Japanese paper. I air dry it (I live in a very arid area) because it seems to take at least a week to dry. Any additives or special relief inks that do not bronze? Thanks for your ideas.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic