13241Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Book Sale list (on dumpsterizing books)

  • joe@sarabande.com
    Sep 4, 2012
      > Sometimes you are better off just throwing the stuff in the
      > dumpster. You'd save money.

      This hurts especially since I've been thinking about doing this for
      some books that I have lots of multiple copies of (Linotype Specimen
      books from the 1990s, some books that I've published like Directory of
      Type Designers, etc.). I worry that the dealer framework isn't working
      for book dealers or users. Without a pricing framework there is just a
      rush to the bottom with books selling for a penny on Amazon. While
      this should be good for readers I think its decimated the field and
      removed any incentive for bothering to sell books. This actually
      lessens the marketplace. Why bother to sell books when its more
      profitable to throw them away?

      Its a strange time for books. I'm trying to design a new Hansel &
      Gretel book with lasercut shadow cutouts. Its meant to be read or
      projected as a shadow theatre. I've had it in the works for over a
      year and can't figure out the appropriate format. There are 5 very
      detailed laser cuts which take 21 minutes per book to cut. If I add
      letterpress type, a slipcase, and a Maglite flashlight I'll be looking
      at a cost of around $60 a piece to produce it. This turns into a very
      expensive book at retail. I'm more inclined to make just the lasercuts
      without the slipcase and letterpress to reduce the cost. I don't want
      to produce some big magnum opus. At this point I'd just like to make
      some little things that will live quietly on a shelf and not get
      dumpsterized.

      Best

      Joe
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic