13131Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Chase Base

  • Harold Kyle
    Jul 13, 2012
      It was 12 years ago that I thought I invented a new system of bases, and optimistically printed "Patent pending" on the top of the Boxcar Base. But shortly thereafter I realized that (in addition to whatever ad hoc systems were previously used) BASF had been selling a very similar system for decades. It actually comforted me to know that adhesive-on-gridded-aluminum was an established solution to mounting plates. Also, that I wouldn't have to pay a lawyer to actually patent the base. Money was in very short supply, as I was learning the hard way that not all aluminum alloys or all machinists could manufacture these to the required tolerances.

      I eventually removed the "Patent pending" boast from the surface. Trademarks are another matter and I'm happy that no other manufacturer has coined their base a "Boxcar Base." :)

      Thanks
      Harold

      On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

      Eric

      Yeah, this is extraordinarily odd. Three of them suddenly! I assume no one has trademarked anything, then again, not that knowledgeable about UK law.

      One thing for sure, there is no valid patent on that type of flat base. Similar ad hoc bases have been made for many, many years.

      Gerald

      --
      Boxcar Press
      509 W. Fayette St. #135