13025AW: Re: [PPLetterpress] vandercook

  • Silber MaiKätzchen
    Mar 3, 2012
      I think that he means heavy Bristol, it comes in 230
      Lb. basis weight.

      The basis weight is a term used to describe the weight
      in pounds of 500 sheets of paper (one ream) of a particular
      measured size of sheet. Since the sheet size varies
      from one type of stock to another, the basis weights
      are not always easily comparable.

      For example, an office supply store has 8.5 x 11 size
      cover stock (80 lb Printing Bristol) and 8.5 x 11 size
      card stock (90 lb Index) side by side on the shelf. Both
      papers are manufactured by the same company, and
      a basis weight comparison indicates the card stock
      (90 lb Index) is heavier than the cover stock(80 lb
      Printing Bristol). In this example, the cover stock (80
      lb Printing Bristol) is actually heavier than the card
      stock (90 lb Index).

      The reason the cover stock is heavier is because before
      the two types of paper were cut into 8.5 x 11 size pages,
      the card stock was a larger sheet size than the sheet size
      of the cover stock. When the papers were cut during the
      manufacturing process into 8.5 x 11 size pages, more reams
      (500 sheets) of paper were received from the card stock sheets
      than from the cover stock sheets. This makes the weight
      of the cover stock heavier than the weight of the card

      It is easier to compare the cover stock metric weight
      (g/m2) against card stock metric weight (g/m2). If
      you look at the metric weights of the two stocks in
      the previous example, it is immediately evident
      that 80 lb Bristol cover stock (176 g/m2) isheavier
      than 90 lb Index card stock (163 g/m2).

      The sheet size used to determine the basis weight of
      Printing Bristol is 22.5x35" , and the sheet size for
      the basis weight of Index Bristol is 25.5x30.5". Interestingly
      enough both numbers result in the same number
      for a basis weight. The sheet size to determine the basis
      weight of Cover stock is 20x26".

      Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
      Carpe diem!
      quam minimum credula postero!