12890Re: [PPLetterpress] Laser Engraved Photopolymer Plates

  • Scott Rubel
    Oct 25, 2011
      That's a relief it takes Illustrator. I forgot to ask if you are using steel backed plates.

      The rest of this is good information. I'm starting to want one.

      --Scott

      On Oct 25, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Joe Lanich wrote:

      Thank you for the compliment, you are very kind.

      "Scanning precision" or "scan gap" on a laser is the amount the laser head indexes in the Y axis per pass on the X axis. The lower the scan gap the more passes the engraving will be divided into. More passes equal more time. We run our laser at a scan gap of .04mm (0.0016") and the manufacturer refers to this 600DPI. If you do the math, 1" / 0.0016" = 625LPI. With laser beam diameter being around .003"-.005" I don't see any great benefit going above 625LPI for most work. At a scan gap of 1000LPI your plate engraving time would be 60% longer than 600LPI and you might not even be able to see the difference.  I am still experimenting though, so I am open to other opinions.

      We use Illustrator to create all of our files and import them into the laser control program which then creates the code the laser needs to operate.

      CorelDraw? No hipster letterpress printer would be caught dead using CorelDraw! I kid! I'm sure it is a great program.

      -Joe

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic