12869Re: [PPLetterpress] Laser Engraved Photopolymer Plates

  • Scott Rubel
    Oct 22, 2011
      The website days it goes to 1200 dpi. If the coordinate tracking is accurate as it cuts, that should render pretty good six point type.

      It is hard to tell the quality of the laser, but I think I will ask them for a sample of steel backed polymer. I wonder how that works without the steel acting like a mirror.

      These laser beams can be unbelievable thin, if they are high quality. I work at a place where we make giant cameras for giant telescopes, and we order custom "slit masks" which are large sheets of aluminum with thousands of precision placed cuts in them. The cuts aren't much thicker than a hair, and you would think the laser is just moving along a path and cutting the slit, but in reality it cuts out the shape of the slit and almost microscopic blanks fall out of the metal every time a slit is cut. So if this Epilog Legend 36EXT machine is high quality, I would think six point type should work fine.

      --Scott

      On Oct 22, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

      I'm interested in how well these desktop lasers can render type below 6 points.
      We run a LOT of business cards, many of which were designed for mice, apparently ;-)

      Not ready to get rid of my Interflex platemaker yet!

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      tweet: @slowprint

      IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      Communication Strategy
      Semiotx.com  @ideaswords

      On 22 Oct 2011, at 2:40 PM, Silber MaiKätzchen wrote:

      What number, thickness and brand plate are you
      using?

      I use a Epilog Legend 36EXT with a 120W laser, I
      am using a plate now that I like that comes with
      a steel or poly backing. It takes me eight minutes
      to do a 6X9" plate from Cobalt, their AccuLaze in
      11 pt.

      MaiKätzchen

      Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
      Carpe diem!