12830Re: Vandercook question

  • Eric
    Sep 21, 2011
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...> wrote:

      > If in doubt, using a larger hammer is surely going to lead to disaster and the worst thing you can do is fracture the hub of the cylinder that the handle attaches to and/or break the handle.

      Yes, a ham-fisted approach will do serious damage, no denying that. But light blows from a heavy hammer will do the job more surely and more easily than heavy blows with a light hammer. You have to be careful and feel your way into it rather than trying to beat it into submission. And you must be sure you are working from the thin end of the pin.
      The only time the large hammer method failed me was where someone had been trying to drive the pin out from the thick end, and trying very hard.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Show all 63 messages in this topic