Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

12766Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Need a new solvent ASAP!

Expand Messages
  • Gerald Lange
    Aug 14, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Stan

      Not to belabor the point but Coleman's Lantern Fuel is to be found in an
      awful lot of US garages and basements. Many campers use it. And they
      rarely burn down forests. It is one of those products that does not hide
      what it is. And most folks tend to use it with appropriate caution.
      Unlike a lot of the solutions that are proffered to the printing
      industry, its properties, like mineral spirits, are understood.

      Also note that the discussion pertains to both plate/type wash and press
      wash. These are two different things. As Eric mentioned, very little
      plate wash is needed to clean a printing surface.

      Gerald


      On 8/14/11 7:27 PM, okintertype wrote:
      > The MSDS lists the flash point for Coleman's Lantern fuel as less than 0 F. That's a lot different than the 100 F you usually see for mineral spirits. People have done a lot of dangerous things and got away with it. That does not justify taking chances. As already mentioned, white gas is volatile and heavier than air. It will vaporize at most shop temperatures, and collect in low places. Any kind of spark will ignite it. It's much better to be safe, than to be making excuses after the shop has burned, or worse, the printer.
      > Stan
      >
      >
      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric"<Megalonyx@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>
      >> --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange"<Bieler@> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Thanks for the cautionary advice. It is quite clear that Coleman's Lantern Fuel is combustible, it is obviously supposed to be. So caution is observed. Safety cans, no open flames, no cigarettes.
      >>>
      >> Quite right. Caution doesn't need to be fear. The half-teaspoon of white gas used to clean a plate is hardly enough vapor to worry about combustion. The only anecdotal explosion I know involved degreasing an engine with white gas, in a garage with a water heater.
      >> The only time I use enough white gas that vapors may be a problem is when soaking, cleaning and drying keyboard cams, and then windows and doors are opened for ventilation. A single magazine cleaning doesn't need nearly as much gas. If you clean multiple magazines, then, yeah, be careful.
      >> --Eric Holub, SF
      >>
    • Show all 41 messages in this topic