      Please join us for the Frederic W. Goudy Workshop:

      Sandra Reese
      The Plate and the Print
      Sunday, September 18, 2011
      10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Scripps College Press
      Scripps College, California
      Cost: $75

      The Sandragraph and other relief print processes that fall between the categories of printing and painting will be the focus of this one-day workshop. We will make and print from several low-tech matrices to create a wide range of tonal and painterly images from simple relief surfaces. Most of the plate-making materials we will use can be found in your studio. Many examples will be shown detailing how these plates have been used for illustrations, book covers, tint blocks, monoprints and monotypes in Turkey Press publications. Each workshop participant will be supplied with a kit that includes wood blocks, cloth, vinyl and paper for printing. The gel medium for making plates during the class will be provided.

      Sandra Reese: My work as designer, printer, papermaker and binder has developed over the last three decades precisely because of  the environment established and maintained by Harry Reese through the work of Turkey Press several years before we met. Each of us absorb, interpret and reinvent what has come before us in different ways. Little did I know that teaching physical science and art—whose parallel essence is to understand the nature of materials—to sixth-graders, would be the stepping stone to the rigors of making books as an art form: attention to detail, repetition, physical stamina, and a longing for tactility.

      If you would like to register for the Goudy Workshop on September 18, 2011
      please send a check for $75 made out to the
      Scripps College Press, 1030 Columbia Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711

      For further information, please contact Kitty Maryatt at

      The Scripps College Press is now on FACEBOOK
      where you can view the making of Ruminations
      and projects completed at Scripps Camp.