    Jul 11, 2011

      I've seen this mentioned occasionally in the Gutenberg literature. It seems to have been collaborated by the cyclotron analysis conducted on Gutenberg's ink by Schwab in the 1980s. There are similarities in the compound to the "paint" (oil-based) used in the Flanders region to render colored religious images on medallions during the time period. And not found elsewhere. Interestingly, Coster's territory. The developments at Avignon (as reported by Ruppel) could also be examined in regard to precursors to the "invention." The "ink" that had been used for block printing for some very long time before Gutenberg, was not resistant to water. There is some discussion by DeVinne of the inking problems of the Mainz Psalter that could be seen, in retrospect, as loss of the formula. A reference to the possible origin of the ink appears in Ing and I believe Kapr as well. (?)

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Erik Desmyter <erik.desmyter@...> wrote:
      > Hi Gerald,
      > do you have any historical references to your below quote linking Gutenberg to metal workers in Flanders? Or what is the source of this info?
      > Best regards,
      > Erik

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic