12650Re: Shelf Life for Photopolymer plates

    Jun 18, 2011
      Hi Eric

      I am not sure what you mean by permanent. How long is that? To the end of time? There are great concerns among preservationists regarding the degradation and usability of archived film in libraries, museums, the movie industry, etc. Over time silver does exhibit surface corrosion (any collector of coins knows that) and plastic leaches and decomposes. The Smithsonian has published reports about the corruption of its Barbie Doll and Space Suit collections due to the latter.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@> wrote:
      > >
      > > 3) The old mantra was "save your negs." This is no longer valid. Very recent governmental regulations and changes in film chemistry have greatly reduced the longevity of film negatives. I see film negs going bad between six months to a year. And I have perfectly fine film negatives that are well over a decade old.
      >
      > Do you think this is true for all graphic arts film, or just the RA film used in imagesetting? Are they getting rid of the silver? It should be that silver emulsion properly fixed and properly rinsed would be permanent. Machine-processed film would not have the same duration of fix and especially rinse that tray-developed film could.
      > --Eric Holub, SF

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic