12602Re: Specialized lists: [was: Reacquired my DX-A3]

  • bielerpr
    May 20, 2011
      Eric

      Just a tiny point. PPLetterpress is actually a larger community than Letpress and has been for a few years. I actually clean out the list on a weekly basis. Letpress never does, there are not only dead email addresses on that list, there are dead folks, literally.

      Gerald
      PPL

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Wendt <awendt@> wrote:
      > >
      > >[...] In unrelated news, I converted my Intertype to propane and she's spitting out lines of type after a long vacation.
      > >

      > Aaron, you might find another yahoo group of interest:
      >
      > Specialized letterpress lists have a necessary place beside the larger communities of LetPress and BriarPress, the PPLetterpress list and VanderBlog being excellent examples. Seeing a void, I am trying to start another yahoo list for a very small segment of contemporary printing, for users of Colt's Armory and related parallel-impression or heavy art platens: the Universal Platen Group at
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/universal_platen/>
      > Universal Platen refers to the original Gally Universal Press from which all the others derive. In the world of printing before photopolymer, such presses were the most desired for any fine press printer. Many went to diecutters, but there are still a number of printers using them, and some younger printers are beginning to appreciate their potential. Any one here with an interest is welcome to join. There isn't any discussion yet, but there are some interesting links and one instruction manual in the files section of the group website.
      > [note: One of the links is to a Scandinavian printing museum, and I used the browser Camino for its built-in google translation, and the translation was quite good.]
      > --Eric Holub, SF

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic