      From: dmm@...
      Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:25 PM
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] proofing ink source?

      After several months of "lurking," I finally have a question for
      the list. Can anyone suggest a favorite brand of non-drying
      proofing ink (black), and can anyone suggest a relatively economical
      source for the same?

      In searching online, I found two brands, Harley and Mosstype.
      I'm not sure how they differ. (I also found Charbonnel black
      proofing ink, but it was considerably more expensive and seemed
      directed to the printmaking community.)

      In looking for a source, I discovered that you could order directly
      from Harley, but that an $18 bottle cost over $20 to ship. The only
      other source I found (APR Flexo) had a $100 minimum order.
      My needs are quite small - I just need a single tube of black
      proofing ink.

      I'll actually be proofing from metal type with this, not PP,
      but I'm asking the question here rather than LETPRESS because
      the market for proofing inks today seems (from what I can tell)
      to be in flexography/photopolymer.

      Thanks for any suggestions.

      Dr. David M. MacMillan * dmm@... * www.lemur.com & www.CircuitousRoot.com

      The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
      - Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915); Aldo Leopold

      (Email Guard:, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.17010)
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic