12404Re: proofing ink source?

  • okintertype
    Mar 1, 2011
      I guess you need an ink like we used on our big (4 page) cylinder press at the weekly where I worked as a youth. I was there a year and we never cleaned the fountain or rollers, just added ink occasionally as needed. It never skinned over. We also used this ink for our proofing jobs. Don't ask me what it was. That was 60 years ago.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, dmm@... wrote:
      > After several months of "lurking," I finally have a question for
      > the list. Can anyone suggest a favorite brand of non-drying
      > proofing ink (black), and can anyone suggest a relatively economical
      > source for the same?
      > In searching online, I found two brands, Harley and Mosstype.
      > I'm not sure how they differ. (I also found Charbonnel black
      > proofing ink, but it was considerably more expensive and seemed
      > directed to the printmaking community.)
      > In looking for a source, I discovered that you could order directly
      > from Harley, but that an $18 bottle cost over $20 to ship. The only
      > other source I found (APR Flexo) had a $100 minimum order.
      > My needs are quite small - I just need a single tube of black
      > proofing ink.
      > I'll actually be proofing from metal type with this, not PP,
      > but I'm asking the question here rather than LETPRESS because
      > the market for proofing inks today seems (from what I can tell)
      > to be in flexography/photopolymer.
      > Thanks for any suggestions.
      > Regards,
      > ===
      > Dr. David M. MacMillan * dmm@... * www.lemur.com & www.CircuitousRoot.com
      > The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
      > - Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915); Aldo Leopold
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic