12319RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: TOK photopolymer plates

  • Claire Taylor
    Jan 24, 2011
      We use the steel-back plates. I've near heard of these direct-to-plate digital plates. But I looked them up since you mention them up. Interesting...

      From: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com [PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Harold Kyle [harold@...]
      Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:59 AM
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: TOK photopolymer plates

      Claire:

      Yes I believe Miraclon is made by TOK. Just to clarify, you're not using direct-to-plate digital plates, are you? It's confusing between the "Miraclon DS-D" which is the digital line and the "Miraclon DS" which their conventional steel-backed plate. I don't see digital plates listed on Gene Becker's site...nor on the 11 year old price list from when Boxcar Press ordered from him. ;)

      Thanks
      Harold

      On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Claire Taylor <claire.taylor@...<mailto:claire.taylor@...>> wrote:

      The plates we use in our shop are Miraclon DS 100. I don't know if it's by TOK brand on or not (I don't know if other brands sell Miraclon or not.) We purchase them from Gene Becker Photopolymer Plates, www.photopolymerplates.com<http://www.photopolymerplates.com>. They also sell Rigilon plates.

      -Claire

      Claire Taylor
      Studio Coordinator
      Book Arts Program
      J. Willard Marriott Library
      University of Utah
      www.bookartsprogram.org<http://www.bookartsprogram.org>

      On Jan 20, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Harold Kyle wrote:

      There may be a patent issue that prohibits TOK CTP plates in the US. Does anyone know of TOK plates being sold in the US? Other brands, like BASF and Toyobo, are currently on the market, I believe. The plates are more expensive than conventional water wash plates and the equipment is rather costly as well (low six figures). But yeah, we can dream, right?

      Thanks
      Harold

      On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM, i_goonies <neroinferno@...<mailto:neroinferno@...>> wrote:

      Here I've found something more:
      http://www.tok-pr.com/printingmaterials/products/letter_press_ctp/

      However the bigger part of the letterpress printers can't afford a CTP system.

      Fabio

      --
      ---
      Boxcar Press