Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

12055Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Doctor blades & ladies in the pressroom

Expand Messages
  • Les Taylor
    Sep 16 8:25 AM
    • 0 Attachment

      A Doctor blade is used to meter ink from the ink carrier to the substrate. In Gravure the ink fills tiny cells that make up image, in flexography an anilox roll is used. This is a roll filled with millions of holes called cells - all at the same depth. As the cells fill with ink the doctor blade wipes away the excess ink, efectively metering the same amount of ink every time.
      Speeds of a kilometre a minute are achieved by this method with the latest gravure and flexo presses. Gutenberg would be proud as flexo (the son of Letterpress), is a raised surface printing method, that uses photopolymer plates instead of metal type.

      --- On Thu, 16/9/10, Eric <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

      From: Eric <Megalonyx@...>
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Doctor blades & ladies in the pressroom
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, 16 September, 2010, 13:28


      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "i_goonies" <neroinferno@...> wrote:
      > They seem a sort of screenprinting squeegees, right?

      Doctor blade is gravure terminology. Heidelberg calls it a "rubber cleaner" but any pressman would know it a washup blade. In this case it is a rubber blade on a metal backing. I doubt this would remove the ink cleanly from the cylinder during regular operation, but is intended to remove ink as suspended in solvent during washup. But being rubber, you can cut portions away and give it try.
      --Eric Holub, SF

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic