      Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 3:46 PM
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] C + P in Classroom

      The danger is in getting your hand smashed, mostly. Alternate dangers arise from the exposed flywheels and gears.

      I'm sure most schools either don't take on the liability of having a motorized platen press, or their insurance asks them not to run them. They did make safety devices for these presses that push your hand out of the way as it closes, but most of those devices were removed by operators and you don't see them around so much anymore.

      The effects of law suits and of OSHA are far-reaching, even when they don't visit your facility directly. About ten years ago I received a letter from Miehle (or someone representing them) stating that if I own a press made prior to 1964, I was advised to throw it away because it could not be made safe. The letter was obviously sent as a result of some lawsuit suffered by the company, and they covered themselves by sending it to all possible Miehle owners.