11977Re: [PPLetterpress] C + P in Classroom

  • Ion Gorun
    Aug 10, 2010
      On health and safety in letterpress: as a recent certified health and safety expert (not in the US though, but in a remote European country), I learnt that the first safety measure is to replace an old equipment with a new one, that has all the regulatory safety features - which is part of why Miehle might have sent that letter. But, as we're a letterpress workshop and we _want_ and love to use old equipment, we can't do that. So, there are two other ways:
      - minimizing the occurence of risks (such as, where possible, installing phyiscal barriers that were not initially provided for)
      - informing the users - training them, limiting access to equipment only to persons fully trained, and signaling of danger areas/operations.

      When people are visiting us, we start off by having a thorough discussion on do's and dont's while on our premises, and we even hand them written instructions. Then we record the fact that we informed the visitors - that is specifically provided by our legislation here.

      Best regards,
      Ion

      2010/8/10 Scott Rubel <scott@...>
      The danger is in getting your hand smashed, mostly. Alternate dangers arise from the exposed flywheels and gears.

      I'm sure most schools either don't take on the liability of having a motorized platen press, or their insurance asks them not to run them. They did make safety devices for these presses that push your hand out of the way as it closes, but most of those devices were removed by operators and you don't see them around so much anymore.

      The effects of law suits and of OSHA are far-reaching, even when they don't visit your facility directly. About ten years ago I received a letter from Miehle (or someone representing them) stating that if I own a press made prior to 1964, I was advised to throw it away because it could not be made safe. The letter was obviously sent as a result of some lawsuit suffered by the company, and they covered themselves by sending it to all possible Miehle owners.

      --Scott

      On Aug 9, 2010, at 2:04 PM, rebecca childers wrote:

      > That's right, I've never printed on a C + P myself. I'm interested in learning, though, partly because, as you say, such equipment opens up new printing possibilities, and also because it might make my students slightly more employable. The various boutique print shops around here all use platen presses. I've taught letterpress for 15 years, but only on Vandercooks.
      >
      > How did OSHA clamp down on the school print shop? Was it specifically related to the "dangers" of printing on motorized platen presses?

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)