11974Re: C + P in Classroom

  • bielerpr
    Aug 9 7:50 PM
      Rebecca

      There are a couple of threads over at Briar Press Discussions that might be of interest. Here's one of them:

      http://www.briarpress.org/18358

      I know of injuries caused by C&Ps. One, an employee of one of my clients permanently lost the use of his hand. The press caught it in such a manner that the hand literally blew apart. He is now living in Spain on permanent disability.

      Then again, automated Vandercooks can be quite dangerous as well. One of my ex-students, a guitarist for Modest Mouse, caught his hand between the feedboard and the returning cylinder in the late night hours while printing alone in his garage. A faculty member at an education institution where I work did the same thing.

      I will absolute no longer allow students to work on C&Ps or automated cylinders. I could not bear the responsibility if they were to be maimed for life simply because of a moment of carelessness or inattentiveness. Educational settings are quite social and distracting. Add to this the use of mobile devices, cell phones, etc., that have become almost biologic attachments. . . and you have an environment that is potentially far more hazardous than the work place.

      I do not see an "employment value" to teaching folks how to use an old platen jobber in an educational facility. There may be more and more successful letterpress operations these days that use these machines-because of the public interest in invitational card printing-but I see more value in teaching students how to print well, what to look for, how to achieve this or that, rather than the purely technical aspects of how to operate specific kinds of printing presses.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, rebecca childers <rebeccachilders@...> wrote:

      > That's right, I've never printed on a C + P myself. I'm interested in learning, though, partly because, as you say, such equipment opens up new printing possibilities, and also because it might make my students slightly more employable. The various boutique print shops around here all use platen presses. I've taught letterpress for 15 years, but only on Vandercooks.
      >
      > How did OSHA clamp down on the school print shop? Was it specifically related to the "dangers" of printing on motorized platen presses?

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic