11948Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Photopolymer separating from polyester backer

  • Harold Kyle
    Aug 1, 2010
      You're using all the right equipment and materials. The details on your plate are likely detaching because they haven't received enough light during the main exposure. The photopolymer material hasn't hardened all the way down to the base. It separates during drying while it contracts--it has nothing to hold on with.

      The bulbs most likely need replacing on your machine as you've surmised. In the meantime you may have to keep increasing your main exposure to compensate for their lack of output. Have you done a Stouffer test at the edge of your bulbs recently? Fluorescent tubes put out less and less light as they age. But you already knew this. Is this what you're asking?

      Harold

      On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:47 AM, idgradstudent <glenwoodemorris@...> wrote:

      Harold,

      I'm using an older Jet A3 platemaker with analog controls (as opposed to the newer ones with digital controls).

      It uses a bank of lights.

      The separation is happening at some point between post-washout rinsing and the end of post-exposure. It is not 100% consistent but I will be examining more closely between drying and post-exposure in the future.

      I am using silver emulsion film, yes.

      Glenwood Morris

      Oslo Press Inc.

      --