11937Re: Photopolymer separating from polyester backer

  • bielerpr
    Aug 1, 2010

      I have never seen this (or even remember it being discussed as far as I can recall) but there is an adhesive layer between the photopolymer plate material and the backing (steel or polyester). Only thing I can come up with is too long in washout but that would have to be extreme.

      I put a steel-backed Toyobo Printight into a pan of water just to see what would happen. After a few days there were some eruptions to the surface but no separation.

      What brand of plate are you using? There is some very low grade material out there.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "idgradstudent" <glenwoodemorris@...> wrote:
      > I did some searching and found several discussions about plates that have separated; i.e. the photopolymer has detached from the polyester backer.
      > What I did not find in the discussion was any agreed upon conclusions about why exactly this happens (or I simply missed it).
      > Does anyone know what causes this to occur? I am currently having problems with this with some of my plates and was wondering if there was a "known cause" before I just start changing things and hoping for the best.
      > Thanks,
      > Glenwood Morris
      > Oslo Press Inc.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic