11549Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Rubber Based Inks on Polymer Plates

  • Half Press
    Apr 2 5:18 PM

      Hi Gerald,

      Yes, I did say that gently sanding the surface a photopolymer plate will help getting the print just right, as ink adherence may improve. Oh well, before it gets out of hand, please folks don't do that if you are just getting started, as it may actually end up doing the opposite; getting a bad job out the door. That is not good.

      But hey, if you like to try, knock yourselves out.

      Have you ever heard of "trapping" clichés when hairline register is difficult and the designer didn't contemplated trapping their artwork before outputting it to film?

      If you haven't heard of this, the technique is more or less the same, only that you will have to sand one of the plates (clichés) by a point or so. The result is to thicken parts of the image to produce a "trapping" effect.

      That was a technique used by old master printers that I had a privilege of learning from (back when printing was a good paying activity and there were hundreds of works to get the job done). I hope that many of them are out there in good taken care parks enjoying retirement; nice parks full of old men playing cards and no need to think about keeping their loans trimmed down.

      ****

      I just use oil based inks. I have no problem with them and therefore no need to try new stuff and, by the way, I have never used other inks but oil based ones.