11548Re: Rubber Based Inks on Polymer Plates

  • Eric
    Mar 31, 2010
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

      > Not sure why one would have pitting or scratching to the surface of a
      > photopolymer plate unless it had something to do with the washout
      > process?

      Usually it was due to a hair or other foreign matter between neg and plate during exposure. Today with processor at hand I might just remake; in the past, with ridiculously long exposures in an offset plate burner, and hand washout not a very consistant method, I did everything I could to repair an almost-useable plate. It might be 90-120 minutes before the remake was ready, and no guarantee it wouldn't have some other defect. I've even used plastic steel epoxy to rebuild serifs, but it does need to sit overnight. Using the hardener from 5-minute epoxy didn't work!
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic