1148Re: [PPLetterpress] Continuous tone relief printed photo ceramics

    Jan 8, 2003
      Hi Mark

      Hey, I'm just the messenger on this one! Did you look at the collotype
      section of the site? Quite amazing, and actually the best I've seen yet.
      But I've done collotype. I suspect, in some regards, these folks are
      knee deep in digital... Still, I'm impressed. Did you look at the staff
      roster!!!

      The topographical relief of collotype, for instance, is the result of
      the photopolymer matrix absorbing water, at least in traditional
      practice. I suspect that topographic relief does depend upon some form
      of hydration.

      Any clear film-backed photopolymer is designed for flexography and
      application to cylinder printing rather than flatbase. In the "old days"
      of flexographic liquid photopolymer you did need to back-expose. This
      would ensure an antihalation floor. All current sheet polymer (whether
      film-backed or metal-backed) comes already back-exposed. From the site
      specifics I don't exactly know what configuration they are using or
      where they are getting it. Some of the printmaking ventures into
      photopolymer are a bit confusing in this way.

      Ha! I suspect other photopolymer users would have a lot to say about
      this. But watch out for the ones who are selling!

      Gerald