11369Re: Need historical information - Answered

  • author50401
    Feb 1, 2010
      One job which has not been discussed in any detail here, is that of the proofreader. I imagine that the proofreader (alas, no longer a part of the newspaper industry) would get the printed galleys striaght from the press, and the proofing presses were inked with very oilyt, non-drying ink so that they did not need frequent cleaning and could be left inked for day on end. Those printed galleys just had to get ink on the fingers which could transfer tot he face, hair, etc. as previously mentioned.

      Proofreading was one area of the shop which would often find a woman in place.