11368Re: Need historical information

  • checkscher
    Jan 31, 2010
      A few years ago I printed a little vignette about type rubbers -- a term "applied to a small, but important class of female operatives". It's from New York in the 1850s, but I suppose conditions would have been similar in the situation you write about. You can access a scan at www.heckscher.us/Transfer/The Type Rubber.pdf (capitalization important)

      Charles Heckscher

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Anita" <anitamaedraper@...> wrote:
      > I'm a historical romance writer and I'm hoping someone here can help me...
      > My novel is set in 1879 St. Louis, MO. My heroine gets a job working at the city's newspaper.
      > I can't seem to find any info on the type of printing equipment a large newspaper like that would have used at that time.
      > Specifically, I need to find my heroine a menial job where she'll get very inky through the course of her daily job.
      > Can someone please point me in the right direction?
      > Thank you.
      > Anita Mae Draper.
      > www.anitamaedraper.blogspot.com
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic