11347Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: OT: Print estimate software?

  • typetom@aol.com
    Jan 23, 2010
      For a completely different approach to print estimates:

      I use a flat rate based solely on how many set-ups or print-runs are
      involved. My time is in the set up, not the number of copies; I have to mix and
      match ink, and clean the press, in any case. Use of hand-set type or the
      cost for making photopolymer plates are included as well - essentially a
      trade-off of pleasures and expenses either way, which I'd rather not calculate.
      Over time and numerous jobs, it all balances out ok, some things involving
      more effort, some less.

      Of course the cost of paper stock is separate and depends on quantity and
      the actual cost of the paper involved. Any shipping is extra at cost.

      If I'm unhappy with the way this works for me, then I would need to adjust
      the rate to make it feel right. I have saved hours, if not months, of time
      and bookkeeping frustration by this approach. No software necessary.

      Enjoy,
      Tom

      Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You
      157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951 - home & letterpress printshop
      (720) 480-5358 - cranky cellphone
      _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)
      _www.froglok.com/typetom_ (http://www.froglok.com/typetom/) (way out of
      date website!)