11335Re: [PPLetterpress] OT: Print estimate software?

    Jan 20, 2010
      Hi David

      I know this is continuing an off topic thread, but perhaps a bit of interest remains ;-)

      Quantrix was originally designed for the NeXT OS (remember that? It's now become OS X!).
      It's an object-oriented application which has become widely used in the economic and financial industry for modeling of multi-variate projections.

      I bought it because after 20 something years of using Excel (and then NeoOffice Calc) I got disgusted with having to rebuild a sheet full of formulae every time I wanted to update my business processes. As a programmer it made me crazy.

      One day I was so fed up with having to search and replace a formula term in 1000s cells and thought that there must be a better way. Google'd "Object symbolic spreadsheet" and Quantrix was at the top of the list.

      Not to get into the gory details, but Quantrix removes the formulas from the grid, and lets you use named matrices and categories in your formulas. Grids (rows and columns) are a byproduct of using the various categories in your matrix.

      Screen shot here:
      http://skitch.com/peterf/ntpc5/quantrixslowprintestimator.jpg

      Still hoping to see you in Dubuque sometime!
      (And for me to get to Decorah sometime!)

      Maybe when the ice monsters have retreated ;-)

      Cheers!

      peter

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic