11242Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Plate walking

  • Harold Kyle
    Dec 9, 2009
      I should mention the plates can move out of register on Vandercooks as well.
      Cylinder presses can move steel backed plates out of register during deep
      impression printing. The problem is that magnetic bases hold the plates down
      but don't resist shearing well. This was the genesis for our Boxcar Base and
      plastic backed plates in the first place ten years ago. Since many printers
      resort to adhesives to hold their plates in place (even on Bunting Bases),
      we figured we could just do away with the magnet and use an adhesive that
      works--one that resists shearing. We run our plastic backed plates on a
      Heidelberg Cylinder (long multi-color runs) and on Vandercooks and have
      never had this problem.

      I hope this helps,
      Harold

      --