11241Re: [PPLetterpress] Help with Paper Stock and Letterpressing! =(

    Dec 9, 2009
      Hi Leenah

      Don't know what the Museum offers, but it sounds to me like you should
      consider taking a couple of classes to figure out what you've gotten
      yourself into. Your enthusiasm is commendable, but unfortunately, it
      takes a good bit more than that to be a printer. :-)

      Embossing requires two 'plates' -- dies, really, which have to be
      perfectly matched and registered.
      It's possible (see John Henry's demos here and there) to make the
      'positive' die with a fast setting epoxy, but again, requires a good
      bit of trial and error, no doubt.

      To ask members of the Museum to volunteer to "help", which means
      essentially taking you on as an apprentice, might just possibly be a
      bit too much to ask... which may perhaps be why you're not getting a
      lot of response...

      There's an enormous amount of very good information available online,
      including the archives of this list, briarpress.org, etc etc etc. Many
      of us began without any instruction at all, except that provided by
      the laws of physics, common sense, and the odd golden nugget provided
      by those who rarely repeat themselves...

      The first 'rule' of asking for help is to do your homework, and ask
      specific, well-considered questions!
      (That's true of anything, whether letterpress, web design, rocket
      science, or quantum theory!)

      So, perhaps either take some classes, or get ready to pay somebody to
      do the printing, and ask nicely if you can watch while they do it!

      Good luck!

      :-)

      PF

      PS, finally, "Letterpress" is a noun, there's a verb for what it does,
      which is "Printing" ;-)

      On 9 Dec 2009, at 3:39 PM, engrossersscript@... wrote:

> [...]

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
      http://slowprint.com/
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic