11207Re:Deep-relief Plates Too Soft?

  • bielerpr
    Dec 2, 2009
      Jonathan

      David's advice should be well received. I would also suggest, going back to your original post, that you rethink your decision to buy a new base. First of all, you are assuming you can trust the printed grid and that the translucency of a polyester-backed plate will absolve some measuring problems. This is not so. I have measured grids on non-magnetic bases so provided and they are not necessary accurate. You still need to rely on your line gauge. There is no easy button.

      Secondly, the major problem of the Patmag, that of plate travel, is not likely encountered on a handpress. An advantage of the Patmag, which is rarely acknowledged, is its ability to provide impression without reverse distortion, dependent upon the substrate. The shock is absorbed by the magnetic rubber overlay of the base. A useful attribute in bookwork.