11201Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Lettra Printing Tips

    Nov 27, 2009
      The Pantone swatchbooks are also really not designed for Letterpress.
      (Until they actually produce them on on a letterpress!)

      I've found it's almost always necessary to mix one swatch 'darker' or
      more saturated (down the chart) in order to get close to the specified
      value on the sheet. Also with pastel/tints, I use opaque white, which
      allows me to actually see the color I'm mixing. (where the Pantone
      book specifies 'transparent white' which is really just transparent!)

      I also disclaim up down and sideways before accepting a job with PMS
      specs.

      http://www.exquisiteletterpress.com/faq/#ink-color

      Happy Thanksgiving, again, and try not to buy too much useless junk ;-)

      On 27 Nov 2009, at 2:36 PM, Eric wrote:

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I print lots of brown and have not noticed more of a problem
      >> printing.
      >
      > I should point out that the "superstition" against brown ink goes
      > back before PMS. I haven't had any unusual problems with PMS browns.
      > Some here may not realize the PMS system is relatively recent. The
      > pre-PMS Cal Ink letterpress brown inks I inherited from school did
      > not perfom well, especially with the limited experience I had then:
      > mushy type, mottled solids.
      > --Eric Holub, SF

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
      http://slowprint.com/
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic