11195RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Lettra Printing Tips

  • Lance Williams
    Nov 26, 2009
      I've actually found "warm red" is the most difficult color that I use
      semi-regularly to clean off our Miehle V-50's.... Even with 2 or 3 washes,
      there is a miniscule amount of residue on the rollers and plate... Blue
      and black amount to about 95% of my color usage, and maybe I have just
      gotten used to cleaning these colors, and something different just catches
      me off guard...

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

      to print! That is as weird as the press mechanic who told me that blue ink
      is the hardest color to clean off of a press! Superstitions and suspicions
      abound, but why?

      > I seem to remember being told that brown was harder to run back in school
      in the 70s, and some greens as well. Maintaining consistant color over a
      long run, or in repeat runs, takes experience and a good inking system--not
      what you find on the average C&P. And thanks to color matching software,
      designers have come to expect absolute perfection, not the variations that
      were once considered completely normal.
      > As for blue being more persistant, yes, reflex blue can take more
      cleaning, though not as much as violet and purple. You may not notice it on
      your two-rubber-roller Vandercook, but come do a wash for color on my
      Victoria platen, with seven 21" rubber rollers--as much rubber as my
      Heidleberg cylinder, but no washup blade--and you will notice the
      difference.