11151Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Dismantling a Windmill for moving

  • Visualpropaganda
    Nov 5, 2009
      Hello all,

      I just moved a windmill about two months ago. It was already
      dismantled. The table (with paper feed etc.) was on a different pallet
      than the base. I just hired a truck and was able to put it on the
      truck with help from the people from whom I bought it. I tried
      unloading it with the help of my father and nearly killed myself. No
      kidding! It's not fun when 1 ton of heavy german steal on a pallet-
      jack is pushing you from the truck ramp. I was lucky enough that one
      of the pallet-jack wheels got caught somewhere on the ramp and stopped
      the whole pallet-jack + windmill base to go further. If this didn't
      happen, I definitely couldn't write you these few lines.
      I managed to get the base from the truck anyway, but soon after it
      fell over onto the street. Unfortunately onto the impression throw-
      off lever, which got bend below the weight of the base. I couldn't get
      the base up again and from the street. So I had to call a heavy
      machinery moving company who picked it up with a forklift and put it
      in my garage. So I head to pay someone anyway. If I had hired them
      from the start to unload the windmill, it probably wouldn't be damaged
      (which I was able to fix by now) and I wouldn't have risked my life.
      I know letterpress is a passion, but one to die for or even worse get
      crippled for? I've learned from that, that I will never move the
      windmill or a windmill on my own again.

      Just another note about dismantling the windmill. I've found a retired
      german heidelberg service technician, who helped me repair my windmill
      and will help me to restore it. He said dismantling the table and
      other pieces like the engine and the air pump doesn't really hurt the
      windmill. It will all fit together again nicely. The advantage is,
      that you will have the chance to give the windmill a good clean up
      while dismantled.

      Hope this helps