1096Re: Service bureau question

  • Linnea Lundquist
    Dec 2, 2002

      I have had no problems with sending InDesign files to my local service
      bureau for about the past 18 months. In the early days, they were "pros"
      about it and welcomed the challenge. Now it's business as usual. I did have
      a problem a few months ago with a printer (offset) who went straight to
      plate-- he didn't mind the InDesign file, but he had the heebeejeebees about
      OpenType fonts and tried to talk me out of using them. In that case, I sent
      a pdf with the OpenType fonts embedded. I usually make my PDFs in Distiller,
      the resulting PDF seems to be sturdier than making it by exporting as pdf
      from within InDesign or using the Create Adobe PDF thingie. In the InDesign
      print dialog box, set your printer to "PostScript file", so that when you
      print, you get a .ps file. Open that .ps file in Distiller, which makes the
      PDF. Distiller has job options for fonts, color, compression, etc. The color
      and compression settings are a gordian knot and if I ever need to change
      them to something other than default I will need to dig out the Acrobat
      Classroom-in-a-Book and figure them out. The font embedding settings,
      however, are pretty straightforward, but be sure you DO embed the fonts and
      your font licenses allow embedding. If you don't embed the fonts, and your
      service bureau doesn't have your fonts on their system, you will get the
      dreaded Adobe Sans or Adobe Serif (designed by Fred Brady, by the way-- it's
      a generic-looking MM font that tries to simulate your missing font. It's
      actually a technical tour-de-force and I only say "dreaded" because you
      really don't want to see it appear when you're expecting something lovely
      like Caflisch Script or Silentium or Wilhelm Klingspor Schrift).

      I like InDesign *particularly* for the flexibility of working with OpenType
      fonts, and for proofing the fonts I build myself with many alternate

      xyz : Linnea
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic