10946Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Bunting Base Question...

  • typetom@aol.com
    Jul 23, 2009
      Hi Michelle,
      The plate movement you describe would be extreme even for a weaker magnetic
      base on a platen press. I don't have the bunting base, but with the patmag
      base normal printing does not cause slippage on a 4x6 plate. Small plates
      are more likely to move some, but a little masking tape on the edges is
      always sufficient to maintain registration.

      The only factor that makes sense to me would be use of a very tacky ink,
      which can cause the ink rollers to lift and drag the plate. Heavy impression
      on the platen does not have the rolling motion of a cylinder press.
      I'd suggest considering ink differences and ink roller contact if Gerald's
      visions of greasy solvents don't explain the problem.
      Best wishes,
      Tom

      Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You
      157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951 home & printshop
      (720) 480-5358 cellphone
      _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)

      In a message dated 7/22/2009 10:41:50 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
      Bieler@... writes:

      Bunting Magnetics guarantees its Cerface bases will never lose their
      magnetism. What kind of solvents do you use to clean your press, bed, base,
      plates? Likely any slippage is going to be a combination of extreme impression
      and greasy solvents left on the base or plate. I've never experienced
      travel with a Bunting base (and I do count on that) but I can imagine that under
      certain circumstances anything can happen.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
      <autumnmichellefoote@...> wrote:

      > Dear List
      > I am having some pretty severe plate slippage while printing with my 6x9
      bunting base on my old style C&P. It has happened on four separate print
      runs, using plates from two different plate orders (same vendor but orders
      3 weeks apart), and on three different thicknesses of paper (all lettra.)
      The first time it occurred I thought it was due to the heavier impression
      on the 220lb lettra, but since it has occurred on the 110lb and the 32lb
      that thought has gone out the window.
      > Is it possible my base is loosing its magnetism? I am just at a loss
      and am not sure how to proceed as it is not efficient to re-setup every 5-10
      impressions, yes that is correct noticeable difference in 10 impressions to
      be precise 3/8 inch over the course of 60 impressions.
      > The plate sizes vary from 3 x 2 inches to 4.5 x 6 inches.
      > I have printed other plates processed in the same plate orders and have
      not had trouble with them.
      > Thank you for your responses in advance...
      > ~michelle foote

      **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
      for any occasion.
      (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009)