10795Re: Letterpress Economy Informal Poll

    May 8, 2009
      Well, since Martha Stewart sort of kick started the interest in letterpress wedding invitations way back a bouts when the 21st century began, I don't see how anyone involved in that present day activity should actually deny tribute.

      In regard to counterfeiting, best story I ever heard of was a Brooklyn printer who printed $1 bills, just enough for his weekly needs. For over 20 years. The Feds never looked for $1 bills!!! Q: Why print $1 bills when you could print $100 bills? A: Because no one will pay attention?

      My take on the current recession and contemporary letterpress is that we were really, really very lucky this time. Other sectors of the economy, obviously not so, but in terms of letterpress, most of us are still here and kicking, with minor wounds to lick.

      Gerald