1079Re: Dampening

    Nov 27, 2002
      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., <knharper@f...> wrote:
      > Gerald: Your question about ink spread and dampening the paper was a
      good one.
      > I had experienced some difficulty with this a few months ago, and it
      kinda put me off
      > of the dampening process. I have also read many methods of paper
      dampening,
      > some of which resemble voo-doo. I know a few printers who never
      print dry,
      > however, and their work is quite nice. Is dampening the paper
      something that one
      > always wants to do, or is it a technique that is good at some times
      and not at
      > others?
      >
      > Katie Harper

      Katie

      I tend to dampen most of the time but I am usually printing on
      handmades or mouldmades. The process makes the paper much more
      receptive to the ink.

      I won't dampen commercial grade papers because of the severity of the
      grain direction, but then, I rarely use domestic grades. Occasionally
      I will run a job with Mohawk Letterpress or Curtiss Flannel(sp?) but I
      think both of these are long discontinued (I'm well-stocked!!!).

      Some text weight mouldmades such as the Zerkal(sp?) line (Frankfurt
      White & Cream, Nideggen, etc) don't necessarily need to be dampened.

      I follow the Allen technique/Everson rationale and I rarely have any
      problems that would be attributed to the dampening process.