10579Re: [PPLetterpress] Type Foundries - Directory update...

    Mar 5 9:24 AM
      On 5 Mar 2009, at 6:41 AM, Ph.D. wrote:

      > I think it's a stretch to say that importing printing type
      > is covered by the First Amendment. For many decades,
      > there was a 25% duty on imported type (although
      > there was no duty on matrices, as Congress wanted
      > to encourage a domestic type founding industry).

      Certainly, in the early days of the Republic, European type was very
      important, and it was not in the interests of the nation to erect
      barriers. The duty must have been added after lobbying by the
      foundries here. However, I think there is a precedent to the contrary.
      There is a First Amendment case regarding this issue, I'm sure I
      recall reading about it.

      Of course, it's all moot now.

      pF

      fraterdeus.com