      From: parallel_imp
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:04 AM
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: U.S. type foundries

      > The birth right is the matrix, but more the casting machine. M&H may
      > label their material as foundry cast type (didn't all Monotype
      > casters?), but it is not (at least not in the definitive definition of
      > the term).

      The term "type foundry" predates the Barth and Kustermann casting
      machines, even the Bruce Pivotal, so your "definitive definition" is a
      modern distinction that wouldn't necessarily be recognized by past
      generations of type casters. The term goes back to the days of the
      hand mold.
      If Alex had said instead, "last type foundry using foundry casters"
      that would be more accurate.
      --Eric Holub, SF