10404Re: PDT4 [cross-post]

    Feb 2, 2009
      Elisabeth

      The second edition was a significant expansion beyond the first
      edition and is likely relevant to your needs. Though information
      regarding software, fonts, etc., is outdated.

      The sections on Troubleshooting photopolymer plates and
      Troubleshooting presswork are eliminated in the fourth edition. The
      section on Sources was eliminated from the third edition.

      Changed in the fourth edition are the Font Modification Sequences for
      Fontographer and FontLab Studio. They are now written for OS X.
      Previous editions, from the 2nd Revision (edition one) onward, had
      Font Modifications Sequences for earlier versions of the OS.

      The Examples of Font Modification was eliminated in edition four.

      PDT4 is a revised, corrected, updated, and slightly expanded version
      of PDT3. Added to it is a Section titled Notes on photopolymer plates
      and letterpress printing, which addresses some concerns regarding
      problems and cautions that have surfaced over the last several years.

      PDT has evolved as contemporary letterpress printing with the process
      has evolved over the last decade. Thus it is always in need of
      periodic revision.

      Note that Appendices eliminated from the later versions are available
      in the Files section here.

      Okay, way too much information, right?

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Elisabeth Long" <elong@...> wrote:

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@> wrote:
      > > Copies of the fourth edition of Printing digital type on the
      > > hand-operated flatbed cylinder press will ship beginning January 30th.
      >
      > Gerald: Could you summarize what kind new information is in the latest
      > edition. I have copy of I think the 2nd edition, and as you've
      > released newer editions I've wondered how much I'm missing out on?
      >
      > Thanks
      > -Elisabeth Long

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic